Dressing in Layers
1. Tactile touches. Position cornstalks inside a large tobacco basket or set multiple sieves of different sizes within each other to bring both dimension and interest to small spaces.
2. Fabric finesse. Layer a trio of vintage fabrics, taking a cue from how Allie draped her dining room cupboard, to draw the eye to an otherwise forgotten area. “I love adding woven textiles in with my primitive decorating for a nice warm touch,” Allie enthuses.
3. Harvest haul. Hang grapevine wreaths over a kitchen window, fill a vintage crock with dried flowers, and gather fresh bittersweet in a large basket to enhance everyday accents with beautiful color.
4. Basic backdrops. Opt for a neutral wall color to visually expand smaller rooms and allow varied collections to shine without competing against a colorful or patterned background.
5. Nesting instincts. Be on the lookout for unexpected opportunities to tuck smaller collectibles into larger pieces. Place a plethora of rolling pins into an oversize crock or basket, or fill the compartments of a vintage cupboard with yellowware or burled bowls.
Photographed and Styled by Gridley + Graves