Building with Character
- Do Your Homework. Become fluent in architectural styles. Visit house museums, read architectural history books, gather images and take notes.
- Create a Wish List. Fill a three-ring binder with information about windows, doors, flooring, lighting, millwork, plumbing, historic paint colors, wallpaper, window treatments and furnishings.
- Collaborate with Experienced Professionals. Hire an architect or architectural designer. Select a contractor who specializes in period-reproduction construction. Check references.
- Consider Architectural Salvage. Visit a salvage venue near your home and explore their inventory. Weave building materials, such as doors, windows, sinks and tubs, into your design.
- Research Period-Reproduction Vendors Locate companies that sell items such as cabinet hardware and light switches designed specifically for Colonial-era homes. Visit their websites and bookmark products suited for your project.
Photographed by Bill Mathews/Styled by Lauren Emmerling