Wit & Whimsy
- Be Young at Heart: When it comes to finding linens in vivid colors and whimsical motifs, check out the teen or tween home goods offered by your favorite retailer or catalog. Stacey purchased most of her master bedroom linens from such sources.
- Try a New Perspective: Think of unexpected ways to showcase collectibles. For example, instead of nesting bowls, turn one upside down and place another on top, right side up. Hang a cute, potless enamel lid on the wall like a piece of art.
- Pick Palette Over Pattern: Mixing and matching patterns is a breeze when you pay attention to your palette. If you're using the same colors, you can bring in a bit of everything, from stripes and florals to plaids and fruit motifs. Stacey chose bright hues pulled from some of her favorite vintage textiles for everything from dishes to bed linens. "You can mix any patterns if you keep the color palette consistent," she says.
- Travel Through Time: Don't feel obligated to stick with one era. Mix reproduction pieces with true vintage, or look for new handmade items with an old feel. Stacey gets ideas for her own stitchery projects from some of her vintage finds, and she's also used new materials from the hardware store to create signs that have a timeworn look.
- See Beyond the Surface: Don't be put off if you find a piece that is dirty or damaged. A little elbow grease can make all the difference, and chips and cracks add character. For items like old light fixtures, a trip to a lighting store for rewiring can restore function and safety.
Styled and Photographed by Gridley + Graves